Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Let Me Teach You How I Quickly Made This Shark Week Collection!

With Shark Week here, I thought it would be fun to put together a Shark Week Collection in Destiny Discover.  

Collections allow us to curate collections of resources; create more collaborative opportunities between the teacher and teacher librarians; find what others have created to use as our own; and so much more including being able to share these rich, beautiful Collections of resources with your district and publicly too. 

A Collection can include anything on the web and all resources found in Destiny, which is why it is the perfect place for all of the Shark Week resources I am finding this week. 

For more information, you can read this post too. 
As I gather all of these resources into my Shark Week Collection, I have been using the Collections Bookmarklet which makes it so easy, quick and fun.  

I put together my Collection in just a few minutes with this awesome tool!  
As I was writing this post with directions on how to add the Collections Bookmarklet, I thought it would be just as easy for you to watch me do it, so I created this short video.  You can check it out by clicking the video above.  

Below, I will share the directions on adding the Collections Bookmarklet too.  
First, you want to click on the Add Item Button (orange circle with a + sign inside) in the right hand corner of the Collections screen.
This is how you Add Items to your Collections.

You will find a black banner across the Add Item box saying... Add items even faster.  Install the bookmarklet. 

Click on that banner.
This box pops up that tells you exactly how to Install the Bookmarklet. 
You just drag and drop the yellow Add to Collections button to your bookmark toolbar.  You can see how I added it to mine.
Now when I find a resource I want to add to my Collection, like Discovery Kids Shark Week, I just...
click on Add to Collections in my toolbar.
The title and URL are automatically generated but I can also make changes to these fields too.

From this box, I can also select which Collection I want to add the resource to or....
I can create a new Collection from this box too.
Once I have added my resource, it will let me know that I have added that to a Collection.  I can even view the Collection from this box.
This is helpful because I can make sure the Collection is just the way I want it to be.

My Shark Week Collection is just one of the new Collections I have been working on this week.

With the Collections Bookmarklet, I can do this easier and quicker than ever.  
You can check out my Shark Week Collection here.  It is also in the PUBLIC Collections....where we can all share, see and use each others Collections.

I can't wait to see what Collections you are creating too.

No comments:

Post a Comment